Elance-oDesk recently released its Annual Impact Report. Considering that I talk a lot about oDesk on this blog, I thought that you’d like to get a quick run-down.
More than 3.6 million businesses use the sites to hire talented individuals. In total, there are now 9.3 million freelancers registered between the two sites. (oDesk and Elance recently merged into one company, but the sites are still separate.)
- 55% of Elance-oDesk freelancers have 6+ years of experience (I’m one of the 55% – yeah!)
- 77% of freelancers have a college degree
- Gross freelancer earnings for Elance-oDesk freelancers in 2014 totaled $900 million dollars.
- 2.7 million jobs were posted on Elance and oDesk in 2014.
The annual report found that most freelancers provide at least half of their family’s income. Also, 79% of freelancers work from home, which eliminates the need for a daily commute. Elance-oDesk freelancers were also more likely to report that they are fulfilled in the workplace.
Web programming, graphic designers, and writers/bloggers are the top three skills clients anticipate being most valuable in the next 12 months. In addition, nearly 90% of Elance-oDesk clients feel that hiring online will soon become a common practice.
- 180 countries were served in 2014 by Elance-oDesk freelancers
- Top five countries by spending: United States, Australia, United Kingdom, Canada, and United Arab Emirates
- Top five fastest-growing client countries: Finland, China, France, Russia, and Sweden
- Top five countries with highest freelancer earnings: India, United States, Philippines, Ukraine, Pakistan
Simply stated, the world of online work continues to grow at a rapid pace. Have you joined the virtual work revolution?
If you want to learn more about freelancing facts from 2014, download the Annual Impact Report here.
Looking to become a top-performing freelancer on Elance-oDesk? Check out my #1 best selling book on Amazon.