This week, oDesk released its “Online Work Survey” for Fall 2012. As you might imagine, the work-from-home vertical is one of the fastest growing segments of our economy. I wanted to share a few statistics from the report that I find absolutely amazing. Close to 3,000 companies globally were surveyed.
- 94% of businesses surveyed agree that within the next decade, the majority of businesses will have blended teams (online and on-premise workers).
- The study found that hiring an online worker only takes 2.8 days (median). Hiring an on-premise worker takes 23.9 days!
- 58% of businesses surveyed expect to double their budget for online workers in 2013.
- 68% of businesses agree that “traditional” on-premise hiring methods are more stressful (as compared to hiring online workers), due to salary expectations, difficulty of finding local talent, time required, etc.
- 76% of businesses agree that online workplaces (like oDesk) solve the talent availability dilemma.
- 84% of businesses surveyed view online workers as part of their long-term business strategy, not a temporary solution.
- Boldest Prediction in the Study: By 2020, a majority of business contractors will be working on the Internet via marketplaces like oDesk (86% of businesses surveyed agreed with this statement).
Download the Full Report Now
Executive in Sweatpants is the upcoming book from marketer and author Matt Keener. The book is a how-to guide for launching and growing a successful work-from-home consulting business. Sign up to receive future blog postings and news sent directly to your email inbox.